Friday, February 10, 2006

The Balance of Life and Death in Chad

by JAMES APPEL

The sun beats fiercely from the brilliant blue sky as we make our way along the well-worn path toward the river. The path disappears into a flooded rice field. Removing our sandals, we wade into the warm water.

Occasionally we pass locals and greet them with a friendly "lapia." When we arrive at the river, the half-naked children quickly leave their fishing spears to watch the foreigners swim.

The sun sets as we make our way back across the rice paddies, tired but refreshed. A little recreation helps us focus on the difficult tasks we face working in the mission hospital in Bere, Chad.

One morning a baby is brought in with a severe infection in her lower abdomen and legs. Antibiotics fight the infection, and I remove large patches of dead black skin to save the child's life. Later that day, Sarah, one of our mission nurses, reports that the baby is unconscious. I rush to her and find she is not breathing. Desperately I perform CPR, but it is too late; the child is dead. Sarah is devastated, thinking that somehow the child's death is her fault. But I blame myself. If I had checked on her more often, maybe I could have saved her. We see death all the time, but this child's death troubles me deeply.

A young woman comes in with abdominal pain. The nurse suggests a urinary tract infection; I suspect appendicitis. She says she is not pregnant, but I wonder. A pelvic exam suggests an infection of the uterus or fallopian tubes. I wish I had an ultrasound that could identify the source of infection. I put her on antibiotics.

That evening the staff wants to go to the river. I do too. But I stay behind to check on the woman. She is worse. I ask more questions and search the medical books. A urine test reveals she is pregnant. If it is an ectopic (out of uterus) pregnancy, only surgery will save her life. But if I am wrong, she has undergone major surgery for nothing. I pray, then I decide to operate. I find a swollen mass that is about to rupture. I thank God for revealing her problem, even without proper equipment.

What if I'd gone to the river instead of staying with this woman? How does one find balance in a world so overwhelmed with the never-ending needs of a place like Bere?

Your weekly Sabbath School mission offerings make ministry such as that at the outpost hospital in Bere, Chad, possible.

From: http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06a/less06.html

No comments:

Post a Comment