Monday, October 18, 2010

MUD

I set up a cell saver and autotransfuseur kit that I found in the back stockroom covered in rat poop. Fortunately, the heavy plastic sealing it's sterility was intact. Simeon searches for a second IV. We give her a spinal anesthetic. The scalpel quickly reveals dark, uncoagulated blood that we suction into the cell saver to give back to the girl later. I scoop out mounds and handfuls of placenta and blood clots finally isolating her right adnexa which I remove between stick ties. I leave in a drain and we start the autotransfusion as well as a bag of O+ blood from the little fridge that serves as our blood bank.




It's now a little after 6 AM. By 6:30AM Ndilbe, one of our nursing students, and I are on the road in the old Hiace mini-bus affectionately known as "scalded dog." I'd just brought it back through a round about road through the bush that was really bumpy but had no water. The main road is still covered with water where the hippos hang out and so people and motorcycles are ferried along the road in dugout canoes. Needless to say, "Scalded Dog" doesn't want to go there. Last night, someone told me of a shorter route that is passable as well. I try to find it. Right after the bridge I turn left at the flag pole and wind through the village until coming to a Y in the road. I'd come from the left last week so I assume the right one is the short cut.

This road is not only shorter, but it's flat, packed sand and we're able to make good time until I come to a 30 foot section of mud. I make a bad decision. I go right and am soon stuck and spinning deeper and deeper in despite four wheel drive. The right front wheel is deep in some watery, slippery clay mud lifting the back left tire up onto some other slippery mud taking the weight off it so neither of the two that are spinning are getting any traction. Ndilbe and I get down and get dirty. We shove sticks underneath, try and scoop out mud. try going forward and try going back. We're in the deep bush and don't see anyone around.

We try our futile efforts for 10 more minutes until we spot an old man coming out of the bush on the road and heading away from us. We call him back and he waddles slowly over. Meanwhile, a middle age, stocky man comes up from nowhere headed to his field with his throwing knife hanging casually over his shoulder. He dives right in and starts hacking away the earth that has stopped up under the axle. He is soon covered with the gray, slimy mess. Before we know it we are surrounded by 10 stout farmers who all just get busy. We push, we lift, we dig, we stuff things under the tires. Finally, we lift the entire care up and stuff branches under the right front tire. Then I put it in 4-wheel low. The same thing starts, just spinning. Then I turn the wheel a little left and with a big push from everyone behind it starts to get traction and then inches slowly out of the mud and onto solid sand.




I think them profusely and hand them two 2000 franc notes to split amongst themselves. They wave good bye and we're on our way.

Just think, if I the woman hadn't of showed up just right before I was going to leave, she probably would've died and as a bonus, our leaving late allowed us to get stuck just in time for the farmers to be on the road heading to their fields! I drive on through the tall grasses and narrow tire ruts in the sand with a silly smirk on my face as I reach into the plastic pail and pull out a square of watermelon.

3 comments:

  1. I am brother Eporu ROnald from Uganda who learnt about your amazing work in Hope channel TV. I have been involved in medical research as Biostatistician on use of fresh air as medicine(aerotherapy) to combat malaria and nightmares with great success.I will be glad if you visited my blog and advised me on the way forward at http://aerotherapy.wordpress.com
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your "Really Living" interview with Don Schneider online which directed me to your blog.

    I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your work in Chad. Your dedication to the calling God has given both of you is inspiring.

    Currently,I am applying for medical school in the fall and am going through the process of interviews and the like. In the midst of such details it's sometimes easy to forget why I am choosing a medical career. Thank you for the reminder. I know that God is calling me to be a missionary too.

    May you be strengthened and encouraged in your work. I'm praying for you.

    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. James
    I served at your hospital, with Dr. Ekvall and his son Kevin. But you and your wife was in the states at the time. I was able to meet some amazing people. Sonja, Hans, Liz, Dr. Bond, Levi (whom I miss and think of often.Please tell him hi), Wendy and her husband(I forget his name.) I was saddened to hear the news of her son. I loved playing with them and hearing them say mommy in a broken english/french/little kid talk. I would love to return to Bere one day and serve with you. I have never forgotten what I learned at the hospital. My life will never be the same. I am a much better person because of it. I thougth I would bring so much to Tchad and teach them, but I was wrong. The people of Bere gave me so much than I was ever able to give them. Please let me know if there is anything I am able to do. @monrawson@yahoo.com.

    Monica Rawson
    Malott, Wa
    509-322-3203

    ReplyDelete